Decatur Main Street and Chamber Yearly Events

View Full Calendar

February

Wise County Antique Auto Swap Meet (Last full weekend in February)

March

Wise County Youth Fair & Rodeo Youth Rodeo

April

Wise Chicks Chicken Coop Tour – View Info
Cruise Nights – April through October, excluding August
Antique cars on the Square – View Info
Dazzle Me Pink – Style show benefit for Mary’s Gift Program – View Info
City Wide Garage Sale – Third Saturday in April

June

Petticoats on the Prairie – art, antiques, vintage clothing, new clothing, food @ Decatur Civic Center – View Info
JW Hart Professional Bull Riders Event – View Info

July

Wise County Old Settlers Reunion – View Info
Decatur Chamber of Commerce Put Yo’ Money Where Yo’ Mouth Is Washer Tournament – View Info

August/September

Chisolm Trail Days/Rodeo – View Info
Sheriff’s Posse Rode
Taste of Wise County – View Info

October

Paint the Town Pink – View Info / View Video

November

Decatur Swirl – View Info
Holiday Open House
Veteran’s Day Events at the Wise County Veterans Park

December

Moonlight Madness & Decatur Chamber of Commerce Parade of Lights
Decatur Woman’s Club Tour of Homes
Breakfast with Santa at the Decatur Fire Department


Decatur Attractions & Recreation

  • Lake Bridgeport
  • Rocky Ridge Ranch ATV/Dirt Bike Park – View Info
  • Decatur Golf & Country Club – View Info

Wise County Courthouse

Wise County has had four Courthouses, two of which burned.  The present Courthouse, located in the middle of the square was constructed at a cost of $110,000, which was thought by many to be excessive, and the officials were not re-elected.  The stone was pre-cut and each piece numbered then shipped from Burnet County, Texas. The stones were raised by a windlass pulled by donkeys walking in a circle drawing the rope tight.  The building completed in 1896, is of pink granite with an interior of  Vermont  marble, and has been pronounced architecturally perfect.  Bids for the courthouse clock were opened May 14, 1896 and was purchased from E. Howard & Company.  All indebtedness was paid off in 1945.  The building was modernized in the 1960s and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a recorded Texas Historical Landmark with the appropriate medallion and plaque proudly displayed.   The courthouse is open Monday – Friday and guided tours can be arranged by contacting the County Judge at (940) 627-5743.

Petrified Wood Gas Station

The Petrified Wood Gas Station stands like a relic from a bygone era on the east side of Decatur.   E.F. Boydston built a gas station in 1927 and eight years later  decided to cover its exterior with chunks of petrified wood and didn’t stop once he started.  He even covered the walls of his next-door cafe and motor court with petrified wood as well.   The cafe closed in 1964, the cabins around 1970 and the gas station in 1989. They all passed into the hands of  one of  E.F.’s grandchildren who didn’t have the heart to tear it down and spent a decade restoring the entire complex to its 1945 glory.  Stop by and snap a picture in front of the historical marker in front of  the building with more information on these intriguing buildings.

LBJ Grasslands National Forest Service

Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ) National Grassland is located at 1400 North U.S. 81/287 outside of  Decatur.   This land was set aside in the late 1940s to remove sub-marginal agricultural lands from cultivation and to demonstrate wise use land practices on lands not suitable for cultivation.  An aggressive prescribed burning program has been taking place the last few years to reduce dangerous fuel loads on the Grasslands to protect our neighbors and to recreate the open nature of the Post Oak Savanna that original pioneers encountered in North Texas.  The Grasslands is primarily used for recreational activities such as hiking, camping, horseback riding, fishing, hunting and bird watching, however, it is also used as grazing land for cattle and other livestock.  Camping and other activities are free of charge, and visitors may camp in virtually any area of the park and both pull-through and hike-in campsites are available. Some areas require a small fee for use, but these are few and clearly marked.  For more information call (940) 627-5475.

Wise County Veterans Memorial Park

Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ) National Grassland is located at 1400 North U.S. 81/287 outside of  Decatur.   This land was set aside in the late 1940s to remove sub-marginal agricultural lands from cultivation and to demonstrate wise use land practices on lands not suitable for cultivation.  An aggressive prescribed burning program has been taking place the last few years to reduce dangerous fuel loads on the Grasslands to protect our neighbors and to recreate the open nature of the Post Oak Savanna that original pioneers encountered in North Texas.  The Grasslands is primarily used for recreational activities such as hiking, camping, horseback riding, fishing, hunting and bird watching, however, it is also used as grazing land for cattle and other livestock.  Camping and other activities are free of charge, and visitors may camp in virtually any area of the park and both pull-through and hike-in campsites are available. Some areas require a small fee for use, but these are few and clearly marked.  For more information call (940) 627-5475.

Wise County Heritage Museum

The Wise County Heritage Museum in Decatur is located in the home of the former Northwest Baptist College, a four-year institution.  The first classes were held in the new administration building in September 1893 and the school went bankrupt in 1896.

The following year, the Baptist Convention bought the property and turned it into Decatur Baptist College.  The home of the world’s oldest junior college, the school was a preparatory school for Baylor University until it moved to Dallas in 1965 and became Dallas Baptist College.  After the college moved, a Decatur businessman, Coke L. Gage, bought the property and then donated the building and approximately one acre of land to the Wise County Historical Society, Inc. for a museum. It now houses one of the best family research facilities in the area, an auditorium, and a museum.

Today the museum highlights Wise County’s past. The museum is the headquarters for the Wise County Historical Commission and the Wise County Historical Society, Inc. Together they educate citizens about the past.  The museum is operating by donations, admissions, sales from the gift shop and various fund-raising events throughout the year. Members attend conferences and work to keep the archives updated.

The Museum is open 10:00 am – 3:00 pm Monday – Saturday and Sundays by appointment only.  Admission is $1.00 for adults and $.50 for children 5 – 12.  Please call ahead to ensure the museum is open (940) 627-5586.

The Waggoner Mansion

The Waggoner Mansion, located at the end of  Main Street in the city of Decatur, was built by Dan Waggoner for a growing family. Sometimes called “El Castile”, this is a large home, situated on a hill east of town, sitting on thirteen and one-half acres. The house consists of two stories, sixteen rooms, with a full basement and eight fireplaces. It is constructed of old fossiliferous limestone and decorated with handcrafted wrought iron on the roof and balconies. Half-moon-shaped stained glass add an array of color to the tops of the windows and to the large massive hand-carved entrance door. At the peak of the house, an ornate cupola gives height to the stately home. The inviting first floor entrance hall has a winding stairway sweeping up to the second floor.  A hand-carved Texas Star motif decorates the walnut and oak stairway. Massive doors with solid brass hardware, are sixteen feet tall, minifying the tall ceilings. Three of the huge doors enhanced with stained glass project dancing rays of colored light in the interior. Adding an air of elegance to the front parlor is a beautiful ornate chandelier. Wrought iron and handmade isinglass fixtures from Denver compliment the Victorian library, large dining room and two halls. Also on the first floor are five bedrooms, three marble baths, a keeping room, butler’s pantry, and a huge kitchen with a copper sink and accessories. The second floor contains a large game room, three bedrooms and two marble baths. The house is enclosed by a wrought iron fence with an archway bearing the name “El Castile.” It is not open to the public.

Decatur Municipal Airport

Decatur Municipal Airport, founded in 1915, was the first airport in the state of Texas.  It is owned and operated by the City of Decatur and is a public use general aviation airport in Wise County.  The airport, which now occupies more than 205 acres of land is situated approximately one mile north of the city of Decatur’s historical square.  The airport operates on an asphalt runway, which measures 4,200 feet in length and 60 feet in width.  Decatur Municipal Airport is the oldest non-contiguous airport in Texas and some of their upgrades include a new terminal building, runway extensions and rehabilitation and the installation of an Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS).  Aviation related activities that take place on a regular basis include: corporate use, flight training and education, aircraft maintenance and recreational flying.  The airport also provides several community based services and programs to enhance the health, safety, welfare and quality of life of the area citizens.  Additionally the airport serves as a gateway for visitors who use the facility to access local business and golfing opportunities.   The airport is open 7 days a week and you can obtain more information by calling (940) 627-2855.


Dallas – Fort Worth Attractions

  • State Fair of Texas
  • National Sports Teams: Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers, Stars
  • Ballpark in Arlington
  • Ft. Worth Stockyards
  • Bass Museum
  • A variety of restaurants